Pugl is a minimal portable API for OpenGL GUIs which supports embedding and is suitable for use in plugins, but can also be used for programs. It works on X11, Mac OS X, and Windows.
Pugl is vaguely similar to GLUT, but with some significant distinctions:
- Minimal in scope, providing only what is necessary to draw and receive keyboard and mouse input.
- No reliance on static data whatsoever, so the API can be used in plugins or multiple independent parts of a program.
- Single implementation, which is small, liberally licensed Free / Open Source Software, and suitable for direct inclusion in programs if avoiding a library dependency is desired.
- Support for embedding in other windows, so Pugl code can draw to a widget inside a larger GUI.
- More complete support for keyboard input, including additional “special” keys, modifiers, and support for detecting individual modifier key presses.
Pugl is currently in development and is only available from SVN. However, since it is deliberately suitable for including in other source trees (the code is just 5 files in a single directory), there is no need to wait for packages to use. I would, however, appreciate being notified about any projects using Pugl.
svn co http://svn.drobilla.net/pugl/trunk pugl
Please support Pugl’s development: